Four generations of RICHARDSONs 1917

Four generations of RICHARDSONs 1917
William Richardson, Alice Josephine Richardson Dakin, Robert Worthington Richardson, Harry Bogart Richardson

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Tombstone Tuesday: John CARSON

John Carlson
1842 - 1908
Anna wife of
John C Carlson
died Mar. 17, 1891
age'd
85 yrs. 10 mos. 21 ds.


After I posted the Tombstone Tuesday today for Eric Helsten and Mary Hearty, Chris sent me three pictures, this tombstone, his house (with family) and funeral card.

I've posted Chris's comments for  your reading pleasure.

The picture was taken in front of the Carlson family homestead in Clinton Township, Elkhart Indiana about 1900.  That's my great-grandmother, Lizzie - John's 2nd wife - and my grandmother, Anna - his only child - at about 3 years old.  Sitting down is John, of course (lame leg) with step-son Ora Weister and step-daughter Zulia Weister standing.  

I go to this farm frequently today to visit the Amish family who now owns it.  My grandma's bedroom is the same as it was 110 years!  I have the little oil lamp she carried up the stairs every night on her way to bed.

The John Carlson tombstone is also in Clinton Township just down the road from the farmhouse.  It is Eldridge Cemetery.  There are about 400 graves in the old cemetery and I'm probably related to most of the residents!!  I just love old cemeteries.  One day a year ago my friend and I photographed every grave!!


No comments:

Post a Comment