Four generations of RICHARDSONs 1917

Four generations of RICHARDSONs 1917
William Richardson, Alice Josephine Richardson Dakin, Robert Worthington Richardson, Harry Bogart Richardson

Sunday, January 19, 2014

LOSS or DeLOSS a Family Connection Lost... Can it be Found?

Almost two years ago I wrote a blog post about my GGG'grandmother, Esther DeLoss, from a family trying to be "Lost."  I didn't know anything about her family.  My tree was clipped at her side of that branch.

For years I had been looking for Esther DeLoss, when in reality I should have been looking for Elnora Esther Loss or DeLoss.  Her father Samuel changed his name back and forth between LOSS and DeLOSS.  Possibly when the bill collectors were at the door, Samuel would change his name and move to the next town around upstate New York in the early 1800s.  I wonder what Samuel's life was like when the passage quoted at his funeral was from Job!  His 2-sentence obituary in the Madison Observer in 1851 calls this passage "an appropriate discourse delivered by" the pastor.


When I was searching, I came across another LOSS family researcher, Mary Ann Loss, who had posted on Rootsweb about my LOSS family.  I was the first person to have contacted her in 12 years! 
Since then we have "combined forces."  She came to visit me and brought everything she knew about my LOSS family and her LOSS family. 

It turns out Mary Ann Loss had done extensive research on all the LOSS families in the US.  We have yet to find a connection between the two families in the paperwork.  She started doing DNA tests on her LOSS family members hoping to find another connection.  One day we were talking and she said, "I'm sure the two families are related, I just can't find the link.  You should do a DNA test and see if you match."  

This week my DNA results came in -- it included 50 pages of potential "matches" of varying degrees of closeness.  I was not familiar with the site and so I found a place to type in "Loss" and three names came up as being between 2nd and 4th cousins.  I sent her the link to the page and asked if these were any folks that she knew.  Well, I'm a 2nd to 4th cousin of her father, aunt and cousin!

So here is our problem.  HOW are the two family trees related?  We have not yet found the link with paperwork.
So I've made another blog post today with the two LOSS families, HELP WANTED!! Two LOSS families Looking for Others to Link Them.  Hopefully there is someone who is descended from either a LOSS or DeLOSS family who knows another family member that links these two together.
If you know, contact Mary Ann or myself.

©2014 Erica Dakin Voolich


1 comment:

  1. Several years ago I contacted Wayne Carpenter when he posted a listing for Loss on the rootsweb surname list. After extensive discussions and information sharing, we determined we probably weren't related. But now we are. Somehow. Wayne Carpenter descends from Sarah Loss/DeLoss, one of the original sisters who moved to Michigan. Is anyone out there related to Wayne and his clan? If so, Wayne can be reached at wcarpenter@hotmail.com.

    ReplyDelete